Sunday, April 15, 2007

Annoying Animals

This morning I was doing the daunting task of hand washing my laundry when a wasp decided I was prime for the stinging. He did a suprise attack on my lip. So now I am sitting at my computer with a lip about 3 times as big as it´s supposed to be and I´m going to tell you about all the creatures that drive me crazy.

Wasps
It´s only fitting to start with the wasps. We have come across numerous wasp nests as we clear out trees and brush. Sometimes we get lucky and see it before getting to close. Unfortunately all to often they see us before we see them. Once, actually twice now, John has been stung by the eye causing some incredible swelling. More recently Jackson and I were clearing brush when all of the sudden Jackson started running away swinging his arms around. He would stop and then run some more until finally a quarter mile later he was out of harms way.

Mosquitos
These guys are everywhere, but it´s truely amazing how many are out in the jungle. I will be hauling a tablona and look down to see 10-15 mosquitos hovering in front of my shirt. These mosquitos are different than the ones in the states though. These suckers are bigger, faster, and meaner. Bug spray is pointless and they attack through clothing. There isn´t much we can do but just sit back and accept it. They win.

Chiggers
I used to think that mosquitos caused incredible itching. But they come second to chiggers. I´m not sure if I´ve actually seen a chigger. I have seen the results though. It looks similar to a mosquito bite but they itch more and you never get just one. I get tons at a time and they find me way to frequently. In fact I don´t believe I´ve been chigger free since being in Peru. The worst thing about these critters is that they attack the ankles and around the hips. It just wouldn´t be appropriate to scratch there when at Wed. night prayer meeting.

Roosters
Thankfully our rooster is gone, but there are plenty more throughout Peru. I grew up learning that roosters crow in the morning, but that´s not the full story. They make noise all night long. If they can´t sleep neither can you.

Ants
Another annoying insect. Tons and tons everywhere. In our food and on our bodies. I will be hanging up my clothes to dry and all of the sudden start dancing around slapping at my feet. Tiny red ones all over me. These get me more often, but there are some big black ones too. They have conveniently decided to make a home on my shelf. When they bite it feels like a wasp sting, sometimes they draw a little blood.

Turkeys
Our turkeys are also gone. They just gobbled randomly. I think what was so annoying about them was how ugly and stupid they were.

Fish
A few times we have gone swimming in a little lake near here. There are plenty of fish here too. They enjoy nibbling away at me while we try to take a break and enjoy ourselves. I just wish they would learn that my nipple is not food.

Rats
We have some mice and rats around as well. Tearing into our bags of food and taking as they please. We caught one, but there is always more. Including one living in John´s shelves.

Pigeons
In the guardians house, which is where we have had the kitchen up until now, has a bunch of pigeons in the rafters. They share their feathers and even their poop with us.

Dogs
We have two dogs. Beloved Lola and stupid Cheva. Cheva barks at the moon at night and Lola barks because Cheva barks. However these two dogs are probably the best in Peru. There are dogs everywhere. Skinny, underfed, parasite covered dogs wandering the streets. There is a huge problem with the dog population.

Cats
Couldn´t leave out cats. Although it´s really just one cat. Jenni has a cat that absolutely hates me. However, the feelings are mutual. We attack each other all the time. I have the size advantage, but he has some serious claws now.

Snakes
I haven´t had much of a problem with these guys but I´ve seen a few. They still scare me more than all of the other things here.

Bats
Jackson and I share our room with a bat. I have a mosquito net, but Jackson does not. Once in a while I will get to here Jackson squeal after a bat brushes up against him at night. He hates bats. I actually get enjoyment out of his suffering.

Gnats and flies
Like the states, but worse. Hovering in front of my face despite numerous swings at them. They also have found our toilet (hole in the ground) a nice place to live. I come up to the hole and hundreds of these suckers emerge ready to pester me.


One thing I look forward to about being back home is being done with these creatures. The truth is, that despite it all it doesn´t make me want to leave in the least. The work and people here awesome. I love Peru.


*Mom and Robert. Don´t worry I´m sure these things won´t bother you when you´re here :)

2 comments:

Alex said...

quite comprehensive! now you need a blog telling about the various types of annoying plants and vines.

Jonas said...

hey ryan,
how was cusco and the south? Beleive it or not, in the time I have been home, I still have not gone to TACO BELL :-)

don't get too bumptious ....